Saturday, May 9, 2009

The money making scheme.

Zoe has been talking about imaginary friends lately. And she uses that term. It's all very clinical. I'm going to Grandma's house. I have my cloe (singular of clothes), my shoes, and I'm going to loan you five of my imaginary friends while I'm gone so you don't miss me. You should loan me five of yours. I'll give them back when I get home. And all this talk of imaginary friends reminded me of the greatest thing my progeny have ever done and will ever do. Yes, I know they might grow up to cure cancer or win the Nobel Peace Prize, but none of that can come close to what Zaven did when he was 4. You see, he used to have imaginary friends back then. But one day he decided he didn't need them any more. So he sold them. For cash. Real, bankable, non-imaginary cash.

It all started with an e-mail. He sat in my lap one day and dictated an e-mail he wanted me to send to Grandma. He told her how, now that he was getting older and getting ready to go to Kindergarten instead of Preschool, he wouldn't have as much time to play with his invisible baby dinosaurs as he used to. So he had decided to sell them. Would she like to buy one? Well it's his Grandma. Of course she replied to that. She sent back that she was interested. How much was he charging.

But before we could reply, we got a second e-mail from Grandma's BFF. Grandma had forwarded Zaven's e-mail to her, saying that she hoped he wouldn't charge much because she loved that he was selling them and she wanted to buy one. BFF reported that Grandma would be willing to pay up to $5 per invisible baby dinosaur and she wanted him to know so that he wouldn't fall for it when Grandma tried to low-ball him. So he replied to Grandma that he was charging $5 per dino, and that the money had to be real money. Grandma bought two. So did an aunt. Then Zaven dictated an e-mail to the BFF. To thank her for her help he'd decided to give her an invisible baby dinosaur of her own. However, one baby dinosaur all by itself would get bored while you were at work and would tear up your home. He advised her to get another so that it would have a friend to keep it company. Oh, and BTW, he had some for sale at $5 a piece.

So Zaven ended up with $25 cash. I ended up in complete awe of him. (I did NOT coach him on any of this. He thought it all up on his own.) And his imaginary friends all found good homes.

So now that the economy is tanking and Scott's job is not likely to be there in a few months, I'm thinking that this might be my new money making scheme. I could sell invisible baby dinosaurs on Ebay. Heck, I'd even give Zaven a small cut for coming up with the idea.

So do any of you guys happen to need an invisible friend?

3 comments:

Tara said...

Oh that is a terrific story, I love it! Unfortunately I am not in need of any more bodies, invisible or not. Well, unless they do laundry....
You should try ebay, I bet you'd make a few bucks.

Azaera said...

Haha, hate to be a downer but I already have enough imaginary friends from my own childhood that I couldn't get rid of. Now they're referred to as the voices in my head. lol. No really though that is awesome. Sounds like my little brother, he was always finding crafty ways to make money as a kid. BTW have a happy mother's day!

LuckyOnce said...

I was laughing out loud when I read this. I even read it to my husband. This kid might be clever enough to support you and your husband in your old age!